 Local / Australia / 7730
Re: Bad news re 15% off at target recently
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:55:55 GMT

I hate to do this, but I've just discovered that Target are having 20% off
LEGO range from today till Friday...Looks like a Coles-Myers bad joke with
K-Mart doing the same recently :(

I checked out my local Target this morning, just out of idle curiosity.

The Harry Potter sets are there, but not all of them. The smaller sets were
the same price as at Myer while Hogwarts Express was $99, about $10 higher
than at Myer. Of course, with %20 off the Target price, it's cheaper than
Myer, but I thought Target was supposed to be positioned as more of a
discount store compared with Myer! I didn't see any Hogwarts Castles at
Target; again it would have been interesting to see a $100+ set in Target.

I also strolled into KMart. Harry Potter sets are there too, but a smaller
selection it seemed. The prices seemed to be a dollar or two cheaper than
Myer. Again, there was Hogwarts Express (forget the price), but no Hogwarts
Castle. I did see a number of 6291 (Armada Flagship) at the full price of
$99; they really are quite an eye-catching set (or so I thought). Also there
were some UCS Tie Interceptor for $175.

I've got mixed feelings about the value of the UCS Tie Interceptor at that
price. I bought the set when it first came out about a year ago for $189.
While the UCS Tie is cheaper than the UCS X-Wing, it's simply not as
interesting a set. The UCS X-Wing absolutely rocks, in my opinion, but the
UCS Tie is just a bigger version of the two smaller Tie fighters. It's not a
bad set, but if you've felt you could live without it for a year already,
then I don't think you should get excited about saving a whole $14 now.  My
feeling is that Star Wars Lego has probably gone a little stale (it's been a
while since Episode 1 and there isn't any significant hype about Episode 2
currently), especially with Harry Potter being flavour of the month with the
movie release happening at the moment.

So, my feeling is that if someone is willing to spend over $100 on a single
Lego set, then they are probably going to spend it on the cheaper and
more-flavour-of-the-month Hogwarts Castle rather than the UCS Tie
Interceptor. Indeed the Tie Interceptor doesn't have great shelf appeal
compared with the Hogwarts Castle, as the Tie is in a simple (but large)
cardboard box with dark colours, while the Hogwarts Castle is in more
eye-catching colours. The Hogwarts Castle has one of the top-of-the-line
Lego boxes with the double-edged sides and display lid, and generally looks
more impressive (which is a factor in gift purchases). In summary, I'm not
convinced that the UCS Tie Interceptor will sell at $175, and I predict (*)
that we will see this set being discounted further to clear them, maybe
after Christmas.

(*) This prediction is brought to you by the same person who predicted that
Hill of Grace (**) would win this year's Melbourne Cup.

(**) For those of you who have already forgotten this year's Melbourne Cup,
Hill of Grace was the horse that came in 2nd last, and minus the jockey.

Kerry