 Local / Australia / 7427
Re: 6291 Armada Flagship - waddya reckon?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 00:06:39 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
Well, I assume lots of us are sitting at home admiring our new half-price
6291 Armada Flagship. Waddya reckon?

I reckon, at $50, it's pretty good indeed.

   At AU$50, I'd buy some more, yes!  But alas, here they're
   all still *US*$50.  :(  I did get the original batch of
   6280s for US$20 apiece, though.  :D

As I bought a 2nd one, I am in the process of adding an additional centre
section for extra length,

Beware building a canoe!

   I've built these ships with as many as 4 center sections,
   and they still look passable--4 is a bit much, but 3 is
   definitely OK.

But I digress. I do like the blue and white hull,
Yes!

   I wonder, if I call CA, if I can finagle more center sections
   out of them.  :D

but I would have liked to see the blue-and-white theme used more in the
set, with less of the red and other random colours etc. For example,
the green curved fence is a nice piece in its own right, but I don't
really like it in the set.
True. I've removed all the red and yellow (except for the figure head) and
replaced them with white... I think it looks a lot nicer now. And I agree on
the curved fences - I wish they were in blue.

   I've replaced mine with white before (4126 bucket)--they look
   excellent on the ship.  Definitely agreed re: the red and yellow.

Other reactions?
It's inspired me to build new vessels from my Flybo hulls to go with this
one (I have in mind to build the Duplo, the Primo and the System Maria).

   *lol*  That's brilliant!  :)  To build proper caravels, though,
   a ship like 6280/6291 needs to have higher fore- and sterncastles.
   That's been my only real complaint about the set, and now that I
   have a bit more free time I may actually build one.

   The Flybo hulls are excellent because they're easy to extend, using
   the ubiquitous 2x2 inverse-med-slope brick.  It's not as good looking
   as the proper center sections, but it's passable.

   Ooooh, and pick up some 4722s, to get those white lantern holders...
   I wonder...

   best

   LFB