 Local / Australia / 7396
Re: Shopping specials.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:44:03 GMT

The DSDK at $98 is a must for any Technic builder, as it contains a great
selection of Technic parts. Go out and buy one!

I'd second that. Although the Microscout is a poor "computer brick" compared
with an RCX, I nonetheless got a lot of fun out of  my AT-AT (which is one
of the models this set provides instructions for). I paid about double that
price for my DSDK about 9 months ago, so I think it's a good deal at $98, so
long as you don't have any false expectations about the robotic capabilities
of the Microscout.

NB. The Microscout has one motor and one light sensor and about 7 built-in
programs. It is not really programmable (yeah, yeah, I know about P-model
but get real!).

Based on my own experience of giving some kids an RCX (well, an RIS system
to be precise) last Christmas, I think the under-12s would probably be
better off with a Droid Developer Kit or Dark Side Developer Kit (the two
Microscout sets), as, at that age, they find robotics interesting they
aren't quite ready for RCX programming.

Kerry