 Local / Australia / 7210
Re: S@H Australia is online + Bulk ordering offer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 03:36:30 GMT

Hi,
The conversion of the LEGO items it great, I like the certain prices which
are farily cheap, the shipping just wrecks it all. You would most likely
want to order in 2-3's so you divide the shipping in 2 or 3, is much better.
Things that interest me are:
10001 Metroliner
10002 Club Car
10019 RBR
10000 (Maybe, cause hey its classic castle)
6290 get it before they go again!
Plus $50AU worth of spruce trees to make a forest.
But the shipping is too much, I have got a friend in Germany who can order
it for MUCH cheaper. So it depends. Myself I will probably order thourg
Germany unless a couple of people want to order with me? I prefer people
from Melbourne.

James

In lugnet.loc.au, Brad Linsley writes:
Above about $600AU, it's cheaper to pay the GST rather than splitting the
order into sub $400AU lots.

Just did a few calculations, and bulk ordering will only benefit those
wanting something cheap like a couple of service packs. Otherwise, the
savings will be disolved by local postage and packaging.

An order of $309AU, with postage $90AU gives a total of $399AU (assuming no
GST for sub $400AU orders). This case you pay a 29.03% overhead. That is,
every $1 you spend on LEGO, you add another 29c to cover S&H.

Say a bulk order was placed for $930, postage $90, GST $102, total $1122.
Overhead is 20.65 cents per dollar. You save less than 9c per dollar spent
on LEGO. After repacking and sending to each person, that 9c will be reduced
to say 5c per dollar, meaning for all the hassle, you save a lousy 5%.

So, unless you only want a few cheap items, you might as well order
individually as the savings will only be a few dollars per person.

And exclusives/service packs will be the only worth while things to order,
as ozBrick's and local dept store prices are cheaper than S&H for regular items.

-Brad

the ordering etc. He also mentioned that you'll need to be careful to keep the
orders to a maximum of about AU$400, or customs'll start charging GST on top.

I dunno if you'd be willing to track the orders by location, distributing
Melbourne orders through Ozbricks, and everything else yourself? Or some other
combination? The reason being intra-state post costs are considerably lower
than inter-state. Of course it makes things a bit more complicated for you, so
please feel free to say no!!!

I think I'll be trying an individual order first anyway, just to see how things
go.

ROSCO