 Local / Australia / 693
Re: Question about LEGOz for LUGMAP.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 05:16:04 GMT

One question though, the map you use as a basis for your map has a very
skewed projection in favour of the area towards the arctic circle.
Greenland is not as big as South America ! Who commissioned this map, the • king
of Denmark ? (I know, I know it was in our school atlases too)

These are Mercator projections, I think

http://www.encyclopedia.com/articles/08342.html

Are there any maps about that show a true scale between continents ?

Yes, there are other projections. One of my favourites (whose name I can't
remember) preserves the relative sizes of the continents, but the shapes
seem a bit squashed when you first encounter them (because we usually see
Mercator projections and become accustomed to them).

http://www.encyclopedia.com/articles/08026.html