 Local / Australia / 6356
Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 03:32:00 GMT

In lugnet.space, Shiri Dori writes:
<snip>

LOL! You may not find it hard to believe that I speak much worse English
after two years in the good ol' US of A.

Worse in what way Shiri? Less grammatical, or just more idiomatic?

There's a good chance I'll be spending five or more years in the US and I'm
_really_ not looking forward to an American accent. My friends want to tape my
voice now to hear how it changes after six months, then a year, two years etc in
Florida.

(1) http://www.lugnet.com/faq/~88/

"Why does Australia consider itself an entity separate from the rest of lugnet?"
I'm not sure what prompted this question, though I can guess a bit from the
answers posted. A pretty good local community has developed through LUGNET, so
there's not much need for us as individuals to participate more regularly in the
other groups, unless we've got something specifically to show off. A lot of the
theme groups seem fairly quiet anyway, and some such as .market aren't
especially .au friendly.

Of course .au isn't always very seppo friendly either. For example, on the whole
"Oz" thing. It's not really fair dinkum -- I reckon it was dreamed up by some
galah after the winged keel and before the bicentenary. Who remembers "Oz
trivia"(?), released c1987, and packed in an eskie? "Aussie" is true blue for
"'Strayan", but "Oz" is a shonky ockerism that you'd only use for the benefit of
Yanks. It's actually pretty daggy, and if you gave it a go over a middie you'd
sound like a real drongo. Anyway, I don't want to have a blue about it, so if
you think "Oz" is bonza, no wuckers and good on ya.

I'm thinkin of adding many more "name pronounciation" keys. I'd like to know
how to say Larry's last name, for example, and there are many more I have no
clue how to say. (Chris teases me for how I say Dave Low and Dave Schuler's
last names, especially. I'm sure it's obvious to everyone except me...)

What about your name and surname Shiri? And how do you mispronounce "Low" when
you say it out loud?

--DaveL