 Local / Australia / 5926
Re: Does this sound familiar?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 03:31:00 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, John Porter writes:
Hi all,

While surfing ebay this morning, I came across the following listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1605206973

Seller location: Austria
Auction Currency: Aussie $

Does this sound familiar?  About 3 months ago, there was a German seller
selling off some yummy train items - look at
http://news.lugnet.com/loc/au/?n=4875

I was unlucky enough to be the winning bidder with some of those items, I
sent off the payment and didn't recieve the lego :( I know that the payment
was recieved, because I paid the extra $2 for the delivery confirmation
card.  Another bidder contacted me with the same problem - non delivery
after payment.

The shipping cost is listed at $20. This is the same as the prior auctions

Seller feedback 0.  Same as prior auctions.

Only payment type accepted: Cash.  Same as prior auctions.

Something a bit sus?

Have a good ponder,

John (who is not touching this auction with a 40 foot barge pole)

Adding my experience to this,  I got burned on a similar Technic auction -
AUS$ location Germany.  There was some + feedback but not a large number.  I
think there were a dozen or so auctions going.  The Seller said that he
needed a credit card to list items for sale in US$.  I took a risk and lost.
No real recourse as amount was nominal and deductible took up most of it.

Seems like a low risk scam if anyone bites.  Shipping takes time and by the
time it's obvious that all is a bust, you may have even exceeded the 30 day
record retention.

Anyway, I now avoid strange currency/destination combos and only deal with
long time - and preferrably repeat - sellers overseas.

So, another warning - STAY AWAY.

John