 Local / Australia / 5653
Re: American tries Vegemite (Was Re: Latest Garage Sale FOTW)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 23:31:07 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Melody Brown writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Maggie Cambron writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Thomas Main writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Maggie Cambron writes:
In lugnet.general, Ross Crawford writes:

BTW, how'd you go with the Vegemite???

Well, I like it!  Don't get me wrong-- I'd take chocolate over Vegemite any
day.  But it isn't bad at all.

Harro tried to get me to try some but I refused. I read the ingredients.

OK, so what are the ingredients?  I am a vegetarian and judging by its
name, it might be something I could try :)

Both Vegemite and Marmite are concentrated yeast extracts.

Vegemite contains yeast extract, salt, mineral salt (508,509), malt extract,
natural color (150), vegetable extract, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, folate.

Marmite contains yeast extract, salt, carrot and onion extracts, spice
extracts, enriched with nicotinamide (niacin), thiamin hydrochloride,
riboflavin, folic acid and cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12).

I think it is one of those foods you like better if you grew up with it.  It
reminds me a little of Japanese miso paste.  I like it-- but I can only think
of a few foods I DON'T like.  (If I had been on Survivor, eating the grub
probably wouldn't have been a major problem for me-- particularly if they had
served them fried-- it's jumping off the cliff that would have ended it right
there for me).

Maggie

Ok all you members of the 'Vegemite Haters Campaign'... hahaha Vegemite is
indeed something you have to be brought up on.  I have eaten it all my life
so it's nothing new to me but it is something that you have to spread
lightly as you can't aquire the correct taste otherwise.  Looks great on
kids faces too hehe, actually when my kids eat it they tend to lick it off
the bread and throw away the bread... another trick is to spread it onto
sao's (square crackers with holes in them) with marge or butter and squash
two pieces to make worms ooze out hahahaha.  Anyway Vegmite is "One of the
world's richest known sources of Vitamin B'.  So it's a healthy thing.  The
funny thing is my husband is also American and when he saw my son eat it for
the first time he thought it must be great as my son was digging into it...
hahahaha should have seen his face! very amusing indeed.  Great party joke.
But I love Vegemite... Vegemite Rocks!!!.... Mel (who is happily munching
away on her Vegemite toast)

Same here Mel... I grew up on the stuff.... but it's funny Andrea.. my
wife...and her family.... them being from South America and not Australia..
hate the stuff....!!!!
And when I introduced it to my Canadian friends, they had quite a disslike
for it too..... but here's ome info for everyone.....
When Vegemite was introduced into the US, they described it as tasting like
rusty nails, and looking like axle grease....!!!! LOL

Kev...:  )