 Local / Australia / 4185
Re: Studfest VI: The Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 22:57:48 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter White writes:

What dimensions are the HES Indescribable ?

Being an escort destroyer, she's rather long and narrow, built for speed not
haulage.

Width: 16 studs
Length: 160 studs
    (approx, once I've used up all my toes it gets hard to be sure....)
Height: 32 blocks (waterline to top of bridge, ie excl main mast)

Armament:
    1 x Twin 5" turret (forward)
    3 x quad 40mm pom pom (midships, aft, and stern)
    2 x depth charge drop racks (stern, well duh)
    2 x 20mm MG (lower bridge wings)

The original British Hunt Class mounted 5" guns aft and a occasionally two
torpedo tubes amidships, but AA and anti-sub is what Valhalla needed, so
that's what PBY built.  The originals also had a two pounder mounted right
up in the tip of the bow (for batting away torpedo boats).  I had a few
attempts at that, but they all looked silly.  I took some solace from the
fact that the original also looked silly in that configuration ;-)

I'm not as happy with the bow on this one as on Valhalla.  Being smaller and
sharper, the blockiness is more of an issue.  Well, not as happy *yet* :-)

See you Sunday...

Richard
Still baldly going...