 Local / Australia / 3969
Re: 2001 - reactions so far
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 00:03:05 GMT

Just a few subjective comments ...

only one rated a score of > 90 and that was the 7166
Star Wars Imperial Shuttle.

I think the 7166 is a rather stylish-looking set. The striking visual effect
is created by a high fin combined with drooping wings
and nose (probably using our old friend the click-hinge). There is also
perhaps a greater use of rounded edged pieces in preference
to slopes which have been more commonly used in the SW sets.

There were 7 sets in the 70s-ratings, of which 3 were also Star Wars:

    7106 Droid Escape
    7127 Imperial AT-ST
    7146 Tie Fighter
    8007 C-3PO

Before anyone says "but the Tie Fighter is not new", I would point out that
this is Lego's 3rd Tie vessel, the other ones being the
7150 Tie Fighter & Y-Wing and the 7181 UCS Tie Interceptor. This new 7146
Tie Fighter is flat-hexagonal-wing model that appears in
quantity in the original Star Wars film, whereas the 7150 Tie Fighter is the
folding-wing variant that Darth Vader used in the same
film. I'm afraid I don't know which film (if any) featured the pointy-tipped
7181 Tie Interceptor; nonethless I think it is the
best-looking of all the TIE variants.

Curiously, 8007 C-3PO is rated in the 70s but the relatively similar 8008
Stormtrooper is rated in the 30s.

Kerry