 Local / Australia / 3487
Re: MB aircraft carrier (USS Kittyhawk)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 08:03:58 GMT

Tiled flightdeck - cooler yet!  Chatswood TRU here I come...

The flightdeck is made from about 15-20 large black tiles. They are similar
to the base plates used in the Lego soccer sets in that there are studs on
the corners of these large tiles which you can use to connect them together
using smaller tiles. This enables you to create a large flat surface.

I wish Lego had used something like this for the "display board" on the UCS
Star War sets, instead of making it from lots of 1xN tiles and expecting you
to put a large sticker across all of them.

Another interesting piece in the USS Kittyhawk is the double-sided stud
plate. This is a 2x2 plate with studs on both sides, enabling you to build
out in both directions. There are about 12 or so in the set, mostly used in
building the shafts for the elevating platforms to slide up and down,
although one was used in building the mast on the top of the superstructure.
I've never seen one of these in a Lego set but often wished I had them.

[Now, following the usual ritual, the rest of you get to post messages
telling me that such pieces exist in <insert set name>.]

Kerry