 Local / Australia / 2859
Re: New Pricing??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 20:39:57 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
Most of them were cheaper than the equivalent Star Wars models.

Having mulled over this for a couple of days, it occurred to me that Star
Wars models may be inherently more expensive than Adventurers etc, because
Star Wars Lego will involve a license fee to George Lucas (or whoever) while
non-licensed themes won't.

one thing to think about is that when the star wars sets were released piece
counts within them jumped dramatically compared to their space predecesors.
an example of this is the snowspeeder set which retails for $20 U.S. and
contains 212 pieces (dont quote me on that).  a 212 piece set in previous
themes would have cast around $30.  Admittedly this is partly due to the
appearance of vast amounts of decorative elements within sets but this still
does not entirely account for the jump.