 Local / Australia / 2573
RE: More sexism from Lego (Was Re: 2000.2 Catalogue now out :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 23:30:00 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Deidre Rushton Brumby [mailto:drb@tasmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 12:48 AM
To: lugnet.loc.au@lugnet.com; lugnet.org.au@lugnet.com;
lugnet.general@lugnet.com
Subject: More sexism from Lego (Was Re: 2000.2 Catalogue now out :)

In lugnet.loc.au, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
Okay...It's starting to go up. [I'm slowly adding images :) • ] {Usual warning
about 400K images...}

Thanks Ben (I'd almost given up on you!)

From the contents page:
"Lego Mindstorms offers boys the ultimate programming challenge"
"Football - Now boys can create their own football match"

What? You (Lego) mean that I can't get a Mindstorms set for Christmas
after all?  I thought I'd dealt with all the "you can't
program computers
because you're a girl" stupidity 10+ years ago and now a
respected toy company
that supposedly is encouraging children's development comes along and
spouts the same thing?

I guess I'll have to give my soccer sets away too.  Pity, I
quite liked
them... guess I'll have to go and buy myself a little set with a fairy
instead.

Can't wait to see what pearls of wisdom the rest of the catalog has in
store.

Well, unfortunately, you will have to :( I'll do my best to get the rest of
the catalogue up tonight, although it takes a while to upload images.

One thing no-one seems to have noticed..ALL world club advertising has shown
only boys. There has been no indication that the club is also open to girls.

I'll also be trying to put up individual html pages for each pair of
pages/group of related sets, so you don't have to get the entire 76 pages if
you don't want them. [after all, the technic people probably weren't overly
enthusiastic about the tractor being the only technic page up.]

Deidre (oh wait, I'm an adult, guess I shouldn't be playing with lego
at all...do they say that anywhere?!)
drb@tasmail.com

I don't know if I got it up, but look at the writing in the black vertical
bar on page 8 if it's there [which I'm sure it is :) ]....

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)