 Local / Australia / 2483
RE: Pricing on Lego Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 22:21:19 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: sinclair@cadvision.com [mailto:sinclair@cadvision.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 05, 2000 3:02 AM
To: lugnet.general@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: Pricing on Lego Sets

I agree this is a disturbing trend...read .reviews about my • impressions of
the Ninja fig packs...

Essentially I was mad when minifig packs in general dropped • from 6 figs to 5
figs...4 w/ fright Knights, and 3 w/ Wild West...

I love Lego too, but their cost cutting measures such as • juniorization, low
piece counts, etc. have given me cause for concern...

              John
I agree completely with you both.

The LEGO Company had a couple of rough years in the retail market.  I
notice the shelf space for LEGO products shrinking in major retailers.
I see huge blow outs by major retailers of poorly selling themes,
etc...

TLC has been taking many actions to turn things around.  It's fine by
me, if they want to become a brand manufacturer, getting into theme
parks, software, bedding, clothing, etc...

But TLC can and should not ever forget it's core business; the brick.

In the past, many adult fans have stated this simple fact.

Does the LEGO Company truly understand this?

I know several multi-national corporations who have done exactly what
the LEGO Company is attempting; diversification into many markets.
Some have been successful, while others have stumbled badly.

I'm not sure what makes success possible over failure.  But I suspect
it has something to do with corporate `vision'.  If the CEO has a game
plan to diversify into markets that directly tie into your core market
and consumers can see the intrinsic value in the corporate name, it
works.  If not, it doesn't.

Many multi-nationals have pursued this often false dream only to watch
their core business suffer badly.  Why?  Because the company lost its
true vision and focus.

The LEGO Company's core product is the brick.

It certainly isn't the BURP or juniorization so common to more and
more sets.

The Star Wars sets have proven that to the adult community.  Has the
LEGO Company realized this though?  I suspect they think Star Wars
sets did so well, because of the name licensing.

We adult fans know otherwise; does the LEGO Company?

I have seen the LEGO Company make many marketing blunders.  Do the top
executives and the key decision making employees within the LEGO
Company still play with LEGO?

Do they go to Toys-R-Us and buy LEGO?

Do they rush home or actually build it in the car?

Where are the LEGO executives who remember the `vision' of what LEGO
once was?

Are there many visionaries left in the top ranks?

On the consumer side of the fence...

Is there intrinsic value to consumers in the `LEGO' brand?

There sure was in the past.  Every parent knew the LEGO brand and logo
represented good play value for many years to come.

Now, I'm not so sure.

I have watched many parents go down the LEGO isle with their children.
Little Johnny or Sussie thinks the LEGO sets are great, reaching for
many.  The parents however, take one look at the price tag of each
set, frown, consider it, then point little Johnny or Sussie toward
some other cheaper toy of interest.

Of course this doesn't always happen, but it illustrates a big problem
for the LEGO Company.

We consumers all recognize the great play value in LEGO sets;
especially when you or your child has a good size collection.

However, getting to that point has become prohibitively expensive for
so many families.

While the LEGO sets have value, that value has been greatly eroded in
the past years by shrinking disposable income for so many, increased
set cost, and reduced set piece counts.

Is LEGO today at full retail prices a good bargain?

I'm not so sure anymore...  What about you and the parents you know?

<ICS>

It always amazes me how people in a country with the cheapest lego and
largest range are always complaining about how it costs so much...Here in
Australia it has been cheaper in general to get sets sent to us by airmail
from the US/Europe than it has been to purchase them from our stores
[although I believe this may be changing.]. I believe a similar thing can be
said for Israel, Turkey, and quite a few other countries, Yet still we hear
about how much you Americans have to pay for lego and how it isn't fair that
it costs YOU so much.

I suggest you have a look at what sort of price you'd have to pay for a set
in several countries and then decide if you're REALLY having to pay for
overpriced sets, or if you are actually getting a better deal than many
people can?

[And I'm not disagreeing that (at least in Australia) many lego sets/themes
would have been better with the parts re-moulded into different/better
sets/themes than to have been shipped here and released for sale at their
original prices.]

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)