 Local / Australia / 2433
RE: New newsgroup lugnet.sports for Football/Soccer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.sports, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 22:56:32 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Deidre Rushton Brumby [mailto:drb@tasmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2000 8:02 PM
To: lugnet.football@lugnet.com; lugnet.loc.au@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: New newsgroup lugnet.football for Football/Soccer

In lugnet.football, Todd Lehman writes:
OK, hmm, so, OK, can we back up a bit?  So, what you're • saying (taking both
of your posts into account) is that:

1.  The official name of the LEGO product line in Australia • is "LEGO Football"
   and not "LEGO Soccer," and

Yes.

2.  Australians call the sport "Soccer" and use the word • "Football" for
   something else, possibly Rugby.

Yup, it's soccer.  Football possibly refers to Rugby in some
parts of Aus,
but generally football refers to AFL which is a different
game altogether.

Yep, Aerial ping-pong, I believe it's called by fans of cross-country
wrestling :)
[I didn't want to seem to descriminate against fans of one form of football
or another.]

Is that correct?  In other words, did LEGO name the product • line incorrectly
w.r.t. Australian conventions when referring to the sport?

Yes, but I don't think Lego Australia think for themselves in
matters such
as this, they are just following what Lego out of Europe
tells them and
hence follow the European naming convention.  They don't even correct
references to seasons in the catalogs!  Dinosaur Island is
coming "after
summer" i.e. now and it is most definitely winter in this part of the
world!

Ah yes....But it IS after summer, isn't it? ;-)

Does anyone know if -- anywhere in the world -- the official • LEGO product line
for this is called "LEGO Futbol"?

p.s.  The 2000 LEGO Football/Soccer sets rock!!!

I think they're great too and I'm not even much of a sports fan :)

I believe, but am not certain, that they go by this name in Germany...I've
got a small promo fro them, and I think it was something like FutBol. I
couldn't find it last night while trying to sort out some catalogues, but I
was only using 2 folders, and I'm sure it's in one of my other 6 or so
catalogue/promo folders.

I'll get it scanned when I find it.

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)