 Sports / 23
Re: New newsgroup lugnet.sports for Football/Soccer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.sports, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 06:10:54 GMT

"Casper van Nimwegen" <neverroads@soneramail.nl> wrote in message
As far as I know it, the game is called Football in England, Fußbal in
Germany and where I'm from, The Netherlands, voetbal

Most countries use the term football... so why not the rest of the world?

There are many sports which feature contact between the foot and the ball.
In Australia, the popular foot-and-ball sports are historically rugby
league, rugby union, and Australian Rules (depending on where you live).
Hence the term "football" is associated with those sports in our country.
Although soccer is enjoying increasing popularity here in Australia, it is
certainly not the most popular foot-and-ball sport Australia-wide. Similar
arguments apply in the USA and other countries.

In the presence of so many foot-and-ball sports, the continued use of the
term "football" inevitably leads to the ambiguity and confusion that is
already occurring on LUGnet. It would make more sense to give each sport a
unique name to avoid this. Since "association football" is a bit of a
mouthful, I think "soccer" is a very suitable abbreviation. Therefore, I
would commend the use of the term "soccer" to the English, the Germans, and
the Netherlanders, in the interests of more effective global communication.

Kerry