 Local / Australia / 2160
Re: Rules of War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:13:21 GMT

Eric the 'alf lookout squinted through the telescope.  He saw again the
sharp bright reflection of the sun from a point on the low line of coast.
"Glint of glass on the port beam" he cried to his Brikannic Majesty Richard
II on the deck below.

"What?" said Richard a little too loudly, as he idly gouged his left ear for
more wax.

"My Liege" said Tiberius (because when he was young he'd served in the Roman
Legion, and been so named as part of his initiation into the Phalanx) "a
glint of glass speaks of a shiny surface, surely wrought by the hands of
man.  Our army grows restless in these little ships.  Perhaps these twin
facts portend a course of action."

"What?" said Richard more loudly, as he carefully added the new earwax to
the mound he kept in his other snuff box.

"Battle, your majesty." continued Tiberius, in his usual sartorial manner.
"Glorious battle.  Much knees bent running around advancing behaviour.
Enough to settle the men, and prepare them for the grand battles that lie
ahead in our reconquest of Brickain."

"What?" said Richard more loudly still, as he gently extracted an errant ear
hair from his mound of earwax.

Tiberius remained quiet, and watched the coastline, steady on the horizon as
the ship swayed gently in the swell.

Richard realised he had said "What?" loudly one time to many.  If Tiberius
had stopped talking, it was clearly time to say something important.
Unfortunately,  Tiberius had had the appallingly bad timing to be relating
whatever it was in the middle of Richard getting onto a really really rich
wad of earwax, with the obvious consequence that Richard was a bit out of
the loop.

Tiberius remained quiet, and watched the coastline, steady on the horizon as
the ship swayed gently in the swell.

Richard decided that he too should stare fixedly at the coastline.  After a
few minutes of this he lost interest in the whole thing, and with a wave of
his hand instructed "See to it" and wandered off in the general direction of
somewhere else.  His mother had taught him that.  "Dickie," she had said,
"if you're ever unsure, let them do what they want, and if later people
think it was the wrong thing to have done, cut off someone's head".  Mother
was such a clever bod.

Tiberius strode to the ship's master.  "Get us ashore.  Get us ashore, and
I'll find us someone to fight." he said in short, clipped words.  Seeing the
confusion in the master's eye, and before he could even ask the question
Tiberius went on "I don't care where and I really don't care when, but it
must be soon.  Before my Liege realises he's made a decision, and before the
soldiers realise we've been eating the cook for the last two days."

Richard
Still baldly going...

Check out Port Block at http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/port/

"James Howse" <jehowse@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Shogun Bonsai squinted through the telescope. He could see the sails on • the
horizion. He put down the glass and turned to his advisors.

"There are many questions..." he began.
"The date is nigh, where will they land?"

"My Lord," said Queue (so called because of the hairstyle he effected)
"We think they will land either in the west, on the river plains or in the
north."

"Hmmm, we have fought on the plains before, what is the terrain like to • the
north?"

Orinjade answered "No-one knows sire, our spies bring mixed reports."

"This may be a difficulty."

Orinjade continued. "If it is the north, there may not be a battle at all"

"We have the force to face anyone is this not so? But we need not commit • all
our troops. Do we have any idea of their strength?"

The forces in the ship number around thirty, and there are reports the
Imperious Drew masses the divine armies with a count comparable to our • own.
There are further reports of the armies of The Plains and Nushwensten" • said
the Skystalker, Dragonrider and Lord of the Nightwing monks.

"And the God Futbol, will he distract these forces?"

"I cannot answer that, Highness, but we too can play at that game."

"Quite so. And finally, do you think these foes will respect The Rules Of • War?"

There was silence in the room. Everyone remembered the battle of the • stream,
it was a famous story, though not a famous victory. Bonsai picked up the
telescope again and sighed.

"We will consult the oracles, let messages be sent to the corners of the
circle, let it be know information will be rewarded."

James (who's enjoying his holiday, can you tell?)