 Local / Australia / 1770
Re: What if?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 02:57:14 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Geoffrey Hyde writes:
Let us know how it turns out on the 1st!  ;-)

Who is hitting what GB's tomorrow morning ?
James you taking the city or Macquarie ?

pete.w <aquanaut@optusnet.com.au> who is considering layby for the 1st time.

James Howse <jehowse@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Well, Mr clock says 31 hours to the GST and I think we may have got a • taste
of it already.

To quote from a conversation today....
<Scene: Grace Brothers City, Toy Dept. Festooned with signs saying: Up to • 50%
off some toys.>
James sees signs: eyes light up, looking for friendly staff.
James: Is any of the lego 50% off?
Friendly Grace Brothers staff: You'd be better of waiting 'til saturday.
J: It's going down then?
FGBS:(whistles)yeah, I was surprised at how much.
J:really? more than twenty percent?
FGBS: I mean not all of them, not the bigger ones, they'll be like $20 or • so
off.
J:...
FGBS: but these others (broad sweap taking in system, duplo) they're much
cheaper, like practically free.

Once hyperbole and saleman's exaggeration are taken into account, it • occurs to
one that the prices on the soccer line are a result of some hidden import
excise or tax being lifted and that the new prices will come into line • with
those, representing a bit more than a 22% drop.

Of course this could all be wrong, but a bit of optimism never hurt.

James (who is normally a cynical pessimist)