 Local / Australia / 14118
Re: Brisbane a Lego wasteland?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2007 02:31:14 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond wrote:
   I ventured into Indooroopilly Shoppingtown in search of Lego for a child’s birthday. Where is it? Just about everywhere the shelves were bare or had only a few items not suitable for the child in question!

Mmmm. It has been depressing cruising the aisles since just before Christmas. In despair I picked up a Sail Barge for holiday fun, and ended up in Toowoomba to find it.

There was tell that Lego had production problems in the lead up to Christmas, and this will presumeably start coming good. The majors reducing the floorspace for toys after Christmas (having ramped it in October/November) isn’t helping either.

In the meantime, there is silver lining - perhaps not for your target audience Kerry, but certainly for me :-)

The first release of the 2007 Star Wars sets are in Kmart (Towong, Indooroopilly, and Garden City at least). The Y wing has always been a personal fave, but the new one is brilliant. The troop shuttle is not at all bad, (certainly a worthy subject for a Port Block Yards refit - watch this space), and the Clonetrooper battle pack is an army in a box (alright, several boxes). It seems to have quite a while since I bought a set at retail and now I have gone and bought several!

And the Sail Barge turned out to be a welcome surprise too. Its not bad out of the box, it makes for a fun assault barge, and its perfect BrikWars terrain. I like it.

But where oh where is my Tantive IV Alliance Trooper battle pack? You know, start of Ep 4, heavily armed Stormtroopers in battle armour take the Tantive IV corridor by exploding smoke filled corridor, against a few squads of lightly armed, unarmoured dudes with big white woks on their heads, no hope, and a surplus of pluck. Where are the wok headed dudes? Sure I probably can’t afford any more sets now for a while, but it seems a huge and sorry gap in the product range. Does no-one remember their pointless sacrifice at the altar of seeting the scene?

And its probably just as well that the technic crawler crane is not available in stores and seems to have disappeared from Moore Educational.

Richard
Still baldly going...