 Local / Australia / 14019
Re: My first post with my new name ;)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2006 08:34:19 GMT

   In lugnet.loc.au, Rene Hoffmeister wrote:
   In lugnet.loc.au, Melody Krützfeldt wrote: I thought ‘rock’ is a skirt? so it should be (blue skirt ;)) - Your poor son! ;)

Oh yes, skirt, sorry. But wait... it was... only for testing your language skills, of course!

Well, I am glad I got something right ;)

   Actually I find many German surname have some rather amusing meanings when you translate them into English...

Not only surnames. What about cities? “Pforzheim” (Farthome) is a corny gag here, but e.g. “Darmstadt”. It’s a pretty large city in Germany, so nobody becomes aware of it actually, but you have to translate it “Intestinal Town”...

Oh yes, them too... I always giggle when I see something that sounds odd in English and it’s funny to see signs on the motorway that start with ‘bad....’ I think “that doesn’t sound like a place I want to go to, it sounds bad ;)”

It also makes it strange when learning German... somewords are hard to bring yourself to saying them, it just sounds too odd! And I hate how in German there are 20 words for what we would say in English only 3-5 words ;) ok, slight exageration... but maybe not ;) - I think I would rather have spoken German and then learnt English, so much easier!!!

   Here’s a cross-language one: Bahn-Fahrt (Rail-Ride). And especially for Aussies (though I guess you already know it): The “Ausfahrt” (freeway exit ramp) on the German Autobahn...

Oh yes, I know them, I giggle at them too... People must think I am strange when I read these signs and smile and laugh to myself...

-Rene

Mel