 Local / Australia / 13765
Re: Transporting MOCs for Brickvention 2006
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 12:41:32 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Frances Schroeter wrote:
As for transporting my models, I was only going to take a couple and was going
to pack them in plastic containers in a large travel bag. The convention is only
for the weekend, so my clothes can fit in my husband's bag.

I have now travelled to 2 Brickfests in the US, both times I took 2 bags, mostly
filled with MOCs, broken into the smallest reasonably solid pieces I could,
surrounded by clothes. Each MOC section was wrapped tightly with bubble wrap, to
keep the parts together (they WILL get damaged!), and the second trip I also
used rolled up newspaper inside MOCs which had a danger of caving in (most of
them!). Most survived with relatively minor damage, if you've seen my minifig
scale cranes, you know they're fairly fragile. The worst damage was my tram, see
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=673657 but because it was
wrapped, I had no problem putting it back together.

So you can carry quite a lot of LEGO with you on the plane. Virgin Blue has a
free baggage limit of 32kg, which is quite a bit of LEGO! I imagine most
airlines are similar. You don't need many clothes do you??? ;)

Note that you can take some in your carry-on bags too, but it's not that much
safer - planes bounce around quite a lot, so don't pack it looser thinking it'll
be OK.

ROSCO