 Local / Australia / 12840
Re: MOC: The Dish
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.build.microscale
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 20:42:42 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Travis Matheson wrote:
On 21st July 1969, Parkes Observatory gained fame for providing TV
pictures for
all but about 11 minutes of the first lunar landing, via
<http://www.lugnet.com/~469/projects/parkes their 64 metre radio telescope>.
Since then, it has become an important cog in the wheel of space exploration,
and has become part of Australian folklore, even becoming the subject of
<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0205873/ a movie>.

Very nice Ross, how long did it take to put this together?

Thanks! Well, I had the dish part already built for another project
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=96179 but saw that it would work
just as well up the other way. The rest took but a few hours.

however, I reckon the <http://ldraw.org/library/official/images/7/30201.png
Saucer Base> might have been a different alternative for the
dish.  although it might work out a bit bigger than the scale you have here

Well I had in the past looked at using parts like that for a radar dish, even
this http://ldraw.org/library/official/images/7/30116.png but the angle is just
a little too steep for a large dish, and the attachment points are at 90 degree
intervals, which doesn't work for parkes.

Very Aussie though!

Thanks, put another snag on the barby, will ya?

ROSCO