 Local / Australia / 12598
Re: Skeletons are Minifigs too
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:43:43 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond wrote:
   In order to achieve the loc.au monthly trivia quota, I offer the following research insights on the Hogwarts Castle Mark 2 (set 4757).

   Now the Harry Potter purists among us, and heavens knows etc, might prefer me to call the dementor pogo sticks something completely different, and heavens knows what that might be but I’m sure you’ll tell me, on the

   grounds that pogo sticks are fun and dementors are not, so clearly whatever it is that keeps dementors upright (or sidewise if SNOT mounted, I mention that point especially for Richie’s benefit to try to head off the
otherwise inevitable discussion of whether dementors could be SNOT mounted on the side of a tidal-estuary frigate) isn’t going to be a pogo stick.

A tidal-estuary frigate with lateral amidships dementors... now there’s an idea...

Could the dementors gravity repulsion (or indeed general repulsiveness) be harnessed as a useful source of propulsion? Or perhaps a military weapon-type application? Could a model that includes dementors be said to suck?

   And, of course, it is entirely possible that prior to becoming a dementor,

   the entity later to become a dementor possessed a pogo stick.

You mean dementors are made, not born? Can you imagine the careers advisor at school: “Well, you could become an accountant, join the tax office, or become an outgoing-call centre operator, but you’d make a perfect dementor.”

So many jobs offer the opportunity to suck the life and fun out of things. Should their jobs as prison warders be downsized, I’m sure these skilled individuals will not be long out of work, though, no doubt, remaining in the public service.

   If you start counting legs, you run into a number of special cases, e.g. how many legs does Prof Trelawney virtually possess beneath her skirt and how many legs does a dementor have (does a pogo stick count as one, or are there two vestigal legs on a dementor to enable it to balance on the pogo stick?) . Best not to bother trying to do arithmetic with legs given these unknowns and imponderables.

If something can be counted, then it should be counted, statistics >collected, and misleading conclusions leaped to.

Legs, vestigal legs and pogo-sticktistics?

   It’s interesting that you mention legs. Whenever I’m at at one of those things where I have to “tell the group something interesting about yourself” (which is mostly work-related stuff, but could just as easily be a group therapy session), I always make the bold claim that I have more than the average number of legs for a human.

But not, happily, much more than the average number of heads. Being work and presumably mostly accountants, they may see the joke a little quicker than some readers here. I am amused at the though of some readers horrified imaginations picturing you with vestigal legs (pogo-stick optional). For the record, Richie is (boardly) a (physically) normal human (at least externally, on social aquaintence). Which is not to say he’s broad, or a broad, certainly not in the “Look at this! My belt is four studs long! I need to work out!” sense.

   Bricklink however appears to be right on the money, or at least right into my money, as it lists the set as having 9 minifigs of 8 unique types, having apparently been unable to spot the subtle difference between the two dementors
I thought it may have been one boy dementor, one girl dementor... but you’ve already established this not to be necessary.

Since this is a G-rated forum the comment that was about to be made here refernceing descriptions of Lego peices and their applicablity as euphamisims for anatomical differences has been snipped.

   -snip-
   Indeed, I almost wanted to ask for my money back as the set omitted the mandatory falling axes and 2x2 blue brick.

Hurrah! No blue brick!

I’m sure a surplus of blue bricks could be readily found to “value-add” to your set.

   -snip-
   However, the truth lies in quantum physics, exemplified by Schrodinger’s Cat in the case of physicists, and heaven knows etc, or the skeleton of 4757 in the case of the Lego enthusiasts. Put simply, from the point of view of an observer, the skeleton either exists as a minifig with some probability or does not exist as a minifig with the complementary probability, depending onthe position of the swivel wall, and thus we cannot count it as a whole minifig.

Following this arugment through, one counts only a fraction of each side, leading to identification of this wall peice as being a mobius strip, and whilst it appears to have studs on both sides, these may be the same studs! certainly a brain-bending prospect (and does it have a brikwars application?) I have one of these peices with a “Body-mass-index challenged” Lady print. Spinning the wall at speed is an effective weight-loss technique? And similarly for the strained glass knight?

   IANAP, but I think most people miss the point of the whole Schroedinger’s cat thing: Schroedinger didn’t like cats.

(I am not a) physicist? philosopher? purist?

James (who is all three of the above, but only when observed to be so)