 Local / Australia / 11981
Re: observation about old sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 18:45:23 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
Is it just me or are old sets getting harder to find than they used to be?
There are a few exceptions (most notably that King Leos Castle that is
still around at some kmarts plus a couple others like some of the older HP
stuff) but for the most part it seems to be happening.
I have noticed that what seems to happen is that the sets just vanish off
the shelves in some cases and just cant be found anymore (instead of
sometimes hanging around for a while)

It's not just you. Lego (Australia) have been importing less over the last
couple of years. Not less in terms of actual dollars of stock, or even actual
units, but relative to market growth. This is a result of several things, but
mostly better stock control and lower expectations of sales for particular
lines. By the way Bionicle continues to do very well for the company, collect
'em all!

Better stock control leads to less markdowns on stock, improving a company's
profitablity and eventually resulting in lower prices (again relative to things
like inflation and exchange rate performances rather than real dollars).

Another thing that I have noticed is that sets dont seem go on "untill they
are gone" clearence anymore (for example, King Leos Castle, Jack Stone
Police Station and some others that have gone on clearence, failed to sell
and then gone back up)
Anyone else observed any of this and/or have any insight as to why?

Clearance has more to do with an individual company (or chain) than to do with
Lego. It's possible that the sets do very well when marked down for a period,
but with such an overstock they're still difficult to clear. Either way, an
indefinite (or permanent) markdown is very costly for a chain, especially when
considering 50% off or so. This means the store would be selling it for less
than they paid for it, never a good business practice.
In the end though, Lego's control of stock (and hence overstocks) reduces the
need to 'clear' old stock since, as you noted above, sets rarely have a chance
to get old anymore.

James (who hopes this helps some)