 Local / Australia / 11373
Re: NASA sets at K-Mart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 03:47:15 GMT

Hi, all

    7467 International Space Station
162 elements, 0 figures, US$15, 2003
LEGO > Discovery > NASA
AUD$19

    7468 Saturn V Moon Mission
178 elements, 0 figures, US$20, 2003
LEGO > Discovery > NASA
AUD$35

    7469 Mission to Mars
417 elements, 0 figures, US$30, 2003
LEGO > Discovery > NASA
AUD$55

    7470 Space Shuttle Discovery
826 elements, 0 figures, US$50, 2003
LEGO > Discovery > NASA
AUD$89

    7471 Mars Exploration Rover
858 elements, 0 figures, US$90, 2003
LEGO > Discovery Kids > NASA
AUD$129

Prices seem close to what I recall too (was at Kmart earlier)

   These sets seem distinctly more expensive than (already expensive) normal sets. Perhaps this is due to licensing fees to Discovery Channel (whose logo features prominently on the box) - is this something to do with NASA imagery or models of NASA things? I mean, heaven knows why you’d bother putting the Discovery Channel logo on otherwise. Does that really improve recognition of the product? I’m baffled.

Yes they are a bit up from simlar sized boxes from the current lego range, (my way of working price vs part = value) considering the first 3 (7467/8/9) are mini/mirco scale items! 7470 is biggish (from box art) but smaller then minifig scale, 7471 is from what I’ve heard 1:1 scale! (but the real rover isn’t that big to begin with).

Not sure if NASA carries a license fee, but i’m sure the Discovery Channel does! Maybe they had to do a deal with the discovery channel get nasa’s permission?!?

Also, as far i’m aware, 7469 is not of NASA items (european rocket?) nor does the International Space Station belong (7467) belong JUST to NASA.

Just my bit.

Troy