 Local / Australia / 10952
Re: BUGS - new mailing list
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 09:41:13 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:

Hi everyone, I have created, a mail group over at yahoo groups, this is to
mainly be used to inform any prospective members about meetings and how to
chat with us and ask questions. This is not designed to remove the traffic
away from lugnet, but aid in getting new persons intoch with us and there
inner child.

I do not understand the logic of setting up such a mail list. I would have
thought that new members were more likely to find us on LUGnet than on yahoo
groups. As an experiment, I visited yahoo groups and went looking for a lego
list and found hundreds. Even with searching various phrases, I could not
locate the mailing list you have just created.

My concern is that once such a list is created, some people will start to
use it to communicate in preference to the LUGnet list (no matter what you
intend) and that creates a closed world not an open one.

But a community is made of lots of different kinds of people, and some may
prefer to post to a private list. Would you deprive them of that opportunity?

I see no reason the two can't co-exist happily 8?)

Regards

ROSCO