 Local / Australia / 10363
Re: Erickson S-64F Air-Crane Helitanker (was Re: Elvis lives)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 05:19:38 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Joe Meno writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Richie Dulin writes:
G'day,

Elvis lives!

And here it is, with some narrative and stats on the real thing:
http://www.lugnet.com/loc/au/~1285/elvis

Nice work! In the States, these are called Skycranes, and I used to see these
when I was a kid in Germany...my dad was in the Army then.

Thanks!

Nice detail work on the rotor especially. And the tail rotor is geared
with the main rotor..nice!

Hmmmm... it's not really geared - there's just a flex tube running from the
main to the tail rotor. Although gearing would have been nice, I think that
the resulting bulk around the tail rotor might have been a bit too much.

I built an Alpha team 'version'-I say that loosely-of the Skycrane, but had
only 4 blades to your six and it wasn't geared. The great thing, though, was
that I was able to come up with a set of landing gear using Technic axles and
connectors. If you want to strengthen your landing wheels, you might want to
play with Technic axles.

Yes. The real thing's gear looks a lot like techic axles too :-). Getting
the downward sloping beams from the main fuselage is the tricky bit. Angled
technic beams might work.... I'm also considering SNOT mounting some smaller
(4x4, 3x3) wings.

Great job!

Thanks again!

Richie