 Local / Australia / 10321
Re: two historic facades
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 21:40:17 GMT

Absolutely fabulous.  Particularly liked the use of stud ended technic
connectors to put snotwise detail on vertical surfaces.  Just gorgeous.

On the assumption we are talking about the pediment, I took some more photos
(impatient this time, so here are the deep links put in another folder).

The pediment is a SNOT section (ignore the white structure in the background --
a different MOC). The SNOT is made of light grey plates covered in random small
tan parts of various shapes to give the texture (there are a lot of 1x1 round
bricks used):

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/krafol/Bank/bank-pediment1.jpg

Over the SNOT section, there is a long 4x plate sections literally lying on top
of it (one either side), using a hinge to connect it to the base of the
pediment:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/krafol/Bank/bank-pediment2.jpg

The whole SNOT section is only held in place on the front of the bank by 4
studs (the grey ones over the lion's head, far right of photo). However, the
weight of the SNOT section is borne by the base of the pediment that it rests
on, so the 4-stud connectors are just to correctly position the SNOT section
and not weight-bearing. As you can see, the lion's heart that appears in the
centre of the SNOT section is not part of the SNOT section but is part of the
wall that protrudes through a hole in the SNOT section:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/krafol/Bank/bank-pediment3.jpg

Here you see the SNOT section removed from the bank with the hole in the centre
visible:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/krafol/Bank/bank-pediment4.jpg

Here is the reverse side of the SNOT section. The shape of the SNOT section is
created by the use of light grey wing plates to give the triangular appearance,
plus some rectangular ones to fill in the rest. The reason I used light grey
and not tan here is purely and simply because those wing plates are not
available in tan. Because the SNOT section is completely covered in small tan
parts, the light grey areas under them are not really visible in the finished
model (or just look like natural shading where they are visible) A bunch of
black plates are used to bind the SNOT plate section together, since these
cannot be seen in the finished model the colour is unimportant:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/krafol/Bank/bank-pediment5.jpg

I am not entirely happy with the way I built the pediment. If you look again at
the photo of the real bank:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/krafol/Buildings/oldbank-real-2002.jpg

you will see that the pediment consists of a swirly design around a central
oval motif with some clear margins around the swirly design. I could not leave
clear margins as it allowed too much of the light grey wing plates to be seen
and it looked awful. OK, I could use a lions head as a central motif, but I had
a problem with doing a swirly design in Lego.

My original plan for the swirliness was to cover the SNOT section in 1x1 tool
clips (the ones with the clip directly on top, you will see a few of them on
the pediment in the photos) and then take some coloured string and wind it
around the tool clips to create a swirly effect, but I rapidly discovered that
I didn't have enough tool clips and the string tended to come off the clips
anyway. So, Plan B was just to create a random textured surface of small tan
parts with different angles (so they would reflect light and create shade
differently given an overhead source of light) to give the impression of
something swirly. It isn't completely random in that the right-hand side of the
pediment is the mirror image of the left-hand side for symmetry, but the
left-hand side was created from whatever random small tan parts came to hand.

Kerry