 LEGOLAND / California / 592
591  |  593
Subject:
Legoland pride?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 01:16:39 GMT

As a funny anecdotal story, I just completed a large family outing to San Diego,
stopping at the zoo, Sea World, and of course Legoland while there. Well, a
funny thing happened to me on the way to the zoo. Unbeknownst to us our family
vacation was scheduled the same weekend as the 29th annual San Diego Lesbian Gay
Bisexual Transgender rally and parade. Apparently this is a really big event in
San Diego, and by the looks of things fully supported by the local city. Had I
known that this event was to be held on this weekend I probably would have
postponed it, as traffic and parking were horrible. On Saturday, the day of the
parade, we eventually made it through all the detours and strangely dressed
people and arrived for a fun day at the zoo.

Sunday was our day at Legoland, and I was really excited as I had not yet been
to the park since the pick-a-brick section had opened. As I was playing tour
guide to my mother and kid sister, however, I noticed something interesting that
I had not seen before. In the New Orleans section, very near the funeral
procession there was what looked like two gay pride flags being flown from one
of the balconies. A friend of mine with New Orleans experience tells me that
this may be representative of an actual section of Bourbon Street, and maybe
they have been there for a while. Also they might not have intentionally been
gay pride flags, just decorative banners, and I was just sensitive to them due
to the surrounding circumstances.

Whatever the real explanation for it is, I have posted a picture, although a tad
blurry, you should be able to see fairly clearly the two flags as they adorned
Mini town in all their glory:

I make no value judgment, just a curious observation. I post this not to
initiate a post on the gay movement or their right to demonstrate. If you desire
to debate that issue please move this thread to off-topic.debate.

Scott C.