 LEGOLAND / California / 582
Re: Pick-A-Brick Bags
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:10:52 GMT

In lugnet.legoland, Charles Eric McCarthy wrote:
John Cooper wrote:

There have been lots of good messages about Pick-A-Brick inventories, and price
per pound comparisons. Now for an obscure observation. I have purchased 2-3
pounds of bricks during 2 visits. I put all the bricks in one or two of the bags
they have. I figured why should I pay extra for a separate bag for each color or
size. During my last visit I thought maybe I was being foolish, and should pay
an extra penny or two for more bags. How much could an empty ziplock type bag
cost anyhow?

Well I weighed an empty bag of each of the two sizes. The LLCA scales measure in
.01 pound increments. The small bag weighed either .01 or .02 pounds depending
how it was laid on the scale, and the larger bag weighed .03 pounds. That's $.28
or $.56 for the small bag, and $.84 for the larger bag! The bags are nice sturdy
plastic with an interesting brick stud graphic. But decide for yourself if you
want to pay for extra bags, or spend more time sorting your brick purchases!

I was wondering the same thing myself.  I spent so much time sorting the pieces
that I was thinking of putting each different part in a separate bag.  Thanks for the
information!

You could get a more accurate estimate of the bag price by weighing ten of them.
However, the lower bound is already too much.  I normally pay less than that for
Ziploc bags.   Next time I think I will take a roll of lightweight plastic wrap and use
a section for each different part.

Up untill now, every thing I have seen that is "buy by the weight" that uses a
holder that could effect the price has an offset in the scale. I asked them
about this at LLCA only to be greeted with a blank stare.

The problem with the small bags (at least for me) is that it is VERY hard to get
parts in there quickly. I have to put just a few parts in at a time - and even
with that I usually drop some on the floor. The larger bag is much eaiser for
me, I can just scoop the parts into the bag ;)

I guess the best thing to do if you are very serious about this is to take the
produce bags from the supermarket. Those are about as light as you are going to
get and still be somewhat strong enough to hold bricks on a temp basis.

ps:  Thanks to Mark P for the online inventory.  I have some updates that I will post
later today.

Cool! I was there the other day and noticed how most of the trans-colors were
gone :( Makes me think they did not plan this out too well......

Mark P
http://www.landofbricks.com