 LEGOLAND / California / 42
Re: LEGOLand Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 21:06:52 GMT

Comments inlined below.

Mike Walsh wrote:

Last week my wife suggested that I cash in some frequent flyer miles
(certainly have plenty of them) and take our son (just he and I) to LEGOLand
for his birthday.  After my initial surprise wore off, I agreed that this
would be a great idea.

<snip>

1)  Which airport is closer (time wise, not distance), San Diego or Orange
County.  I have been to both and my sister used to live in Carlsbad so I am
guessing Orange County since that is where I flew in and out of when I
visited her.

San Diego is closer.
It is about one hour south of Anaheim, and it is roughly
half an hour north of San Diego (when traffic is moving).

2)  I am planning on going mid-week to avoid crowds.  Are there still
crowds?  When is spring break for school kids in Southern California?  I
don't want to go that week!

I don't know when spring break is, but we went midweek and
I was surprised at the number of kids that were there.
There are bus loads of kids during the week who attend
on official school "field trips".

3)  I read that you can visit a second day for $4 if you purchase it before
leaving.  Is this still valid?

4)  Is there a particular hotel people recommend?  One that is child
friendly would be ideal.

Anything with a swimming pool would be kid friendly IMHO.

5)  How far from LEGOLand is the San Diego Zoo?

I'm not a native of San Diego... but the Zoo is east
of downtown San Diego.  It is probably about 35-40 minutes
south of Carlsbad.  You could stay in a town south
of Carlsbad and north of S.D. and split the distance.
I enrolled my son in a class at the zoo that they
hold on Saturday mornings.  He loved it.  They
taught all about bears, made a feed mixture, and
cruised behind the scenes in the zoo and fed the
various bears.  If your son is 7-10 years old,
check out the zoo cadet program at:
http://www.sandiegozoo.org/special/programs/zoo_educ.html#zoocadets?siteloc=5

I liked the Wild Animal Park more than the zoo.
I believe you can get a discounted admission on the park
after visiting the zoo, and vice versa.  I'm not positive.
The info on the Wild Animal Park is also at the zoo website
http://www.sandiegozoo.org/

BTW- I thought that Legoland California was geared to kids eight and
under.
I don't know how old your son will be, but I just thought I would
emphasize what you probably already know about the type/style of rides
that are at the park.

Thanks,

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com
http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh