 LEGOLAND / California / 384
Re: OT: Slightly: Hotel recommendations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 19:48:02 GMT

In lugnet.legoland.california, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
Coming to california this summer.
Just booked the flights to San Diego

Any hotel recommendations for San Diego and Carlsbad or surrounding
area.

Currently looking at a condo at the Carlsbad Inn for part of the stay.

Anyone first hand experience of this or others?

Preferences:
3star plus
Beach or marina
Balance of quality and cost.
Family of 4 so suite or oversized rooms

Thanks

Lawrence

Hi Lawrence -

My family (wife, 8 and 5 year old boys) and I stayed at the Ramada Inn and
Suites Carlsbad when we visited last year.  I'd stay there again, and it has
some, but not all, of the preferences you're looking for.  It's been
renovated as of this year, but it was still in pretty good shape last year.
It only started to show it's age around the edges, so to speak.

You can check http://www.soramanagement.com/carlsbad/Default.htm or
http://www.the.ramada.com/carlsbad01067?sid=AAAksrACwAAABleAAK for more
details, but we rented a 1 bedroom suite.  The bedroom's actually a seperate
room, not just a partial divider between spaces.  We ate most of dinners
there, and they had a large quality breakfast buffet every morning.  One
night (Wednesday?) they had a cookout, with some wine and beer, plus soft
drinks.  I think that's a once-a-week Manager's Special deal included for
all guests.  We took advantage of it.

It's probably two exits down from LEGOLAND, and right next to the I5.  We
had a room facing the courtyard on the third floor, and that's the way to go
- lots of highway noise there.  The pool's nice, and it's got a large
whirlpool nearby in a spiffy setting.  If you squint, you can see the ocean
from the upper floors :^)  You could walk to the beach, but it's a bit of a
hike.
I think we paid about $89/night.  I considered it very good value for the
money, especially if they've renovated.  It's probably a 2-3 star hotel,
maybe 3 after the renovation.

Hope that's helpful -
Ed