 LEGOLAND / California / 268
267  |  269
Subject:
LegoLand's Lost Opportunity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 02:41:16 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I went to LegoLand for my 30th birthday two Mondays ago and reserved what I
considered the best part of the park for last:  Miniland.  I spent over two
hours in Miniland before it was getting near closing time.  I shot around
200 pictures in Miniland alone.  I was in awe.  So were all of the children
with their parents and with school groups.  They were as amazed and
delighted as I was with the models on display.  Which brings me to the lost
opportunity.  There was no place to buy Legos near Miniland.   The place in
front of the Model Shop was closed.  Here is a glaring testament to how
great our toy can be Miniland says.  All the spectators agree but there is
no way to take a piece of it home with you.  How about models for sale near
Miniland of some of the trucks, police cars, small ships, etc. that are on
display.  Parents and children would snap these up.  Instead you are treated
to an awesome display made with to approximately 4 inch figures (1/18-1/20)
scale and then offered a selection of models in the shops that have nothing
to do with it.  IMHO there is a big disconnect and a great lost opportunity
to really bring more children further into the Lego fold by giving their
imagination and a realization of the possibilities a little jumpstart.  Sure
you can say that Miniland fires up the imagination and children can go home
and build their own out of their own bricks (after years of collecting I
don't think I have the bricks to make most of the vehicles-lack of clear
elements).  But it is easier to reinforce the shining example of Miniland by
offering them a memory they can physically take home with them as an
inspiration.  Thanks.

--
Sincerely,
Rick Meyer