 LEGOLAND / California / 200
199  |  201
Subject:
Trip pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 22:45:47 GMT

Hi All-

As a follow up to my trip report, here's a few pictures to go along with it...

The Safari Trek ride is a bunch of Zebra painted Jeeps with false steering
wheels.  The Jeeps follow a predetermined path along a center guide rail
through cool LEGO scenery with models of birds, monkeys, apes, lions, and
other safari animals.  No pics of the LEGOs, I'm afraid, but here's my son
in one of the cars:
http://www.geocities.com/ejmcglynn/photos/safari_trek.jpg

The Sky Patrol ride:
http://www.geocities.com/ejmcglynn/photos/sky_patrol.jpg

OK - enough of the rides, right?  Here's the "Big Red" diesel, roughly in G
scale:
http://www.geocities.com/ejmcglynn/photos/big_red.jpg
There were several trains motoring around large sections of track, all
computer controlled and automated.  They were large enough to invoke their
own sounds as they rolled along the tracks.

Here's a shot of my son in front of the Harbor section - lots of activity
going on in the background, despite the static impression it gives.  Boats
float by, and there's the sound of dockside machine shops in the air:
http://www.geocities.com/ejmcglynn/photos/harbor_.jpg
...the harbor has a container ship that sinks regularly, and there's sights
and sounds to go alnog with that too:
http://www.geocities.com/ejmcglynn/photos/ship_sunk.jpg

There's some interactive buttons for the little ones to push, and nearby
fireboats squirt water cannons on the accident scene of the sunken ship.  It
resurrects and sinks in cycles every few minutes.

Here's the models of the Georgetown locks historic area:
http://www.geocities.com/ejmcglynn/photos/locks_sign.jpg
...and this better view:
http://www.geocities.com/ejmcglynn/photos/locks_.jpg

To present a scale of Mninland, here's my youngest son at 40" tall near one
diorama:
http://www.geocities.com/ejmcglynn/photos/miniland_.jpg

...and the last one I have in digital format is this one in the Build-n_Test
area:
http://www.geocities.com/ejmcglynn/photos/build_test.jpg

Near the top of this ramp is a gate that drops after the red button to the
left of it is pushed.  After a delay and a short announcement of the
impending race, your creations are released down to a parobolic finish line
where they gently rock up and then back down the end ramp where you retrieve
them and add more creativity and design features to build a more impressive
racer.

That's the lowdown for now, enjoy!
Ed