 LEGOLAND / California / 147
Re: Haunted Miniland - Pictures at BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 07:38:06 GMT

In lugnet.legoland.california, Nicholas Fezie writes:
But thanks for taking some pictures of the park and all the festivities.

There were actually lots more festivities going on. My pictures are heavily
biased toward what's happening in the Miniland.

That poor skeleton committing suicide off that building...  He had so much to
live for.

Nahhh. How much deader can a skeleton be? This is just Skulley's trick to get
back to its home at the cemetery without having to pay for the taxi fair.

By the way, has anyone figured out why Lego would build to this scale?
I mean if they built the miniland area to minifigure scale then wouldn't they
sell more sets?  And I don't really think their style is that popular with
Lugneters since I don't think I have ever seen anything with those types of
people in them.  So what's Lego doing?  Now I must go and make sure all of my
skeletons are living happy lives...

Actually, I always think the other way around: Lego should make some of the
Miniland scenes into sets and sell them, at least at the Legoland shops as
souvenirs. Look at all the hinge pieces, in whatever colors, you can get from
these Miniland sets!

One of the reason we don't see many creations at the Miniland scale may be
because of the piece availability. The Ultimate Lego book mostly talks about
building at the Miniland scale, and people always complain that models in the
book are not buildable because of the lack of parts.

I like the Miniland scale better. One of the reasons we need so many special
pieces is that the mini-fig scale (whatever it is) is too small to allow you to
build a lot of things out from basic pieces. For example, David Eaton's master
miniatures would look perfect in the Miniland:
<http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/chickens.jpg>.

To really enjoy the Miniland, I think one has to crouch to the ground, foot by
foot (if not inch by inch), studying each individual figures, animals, and
objects. It's all in the details.

-Nick

Cheers,