 LEGOLAND / 391
390  |  392
Subject:
LEGOLAND Discovery Center to Open in Illinois
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.legoland, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 14:46:25 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Attention midwestern-ers.  :-)  Stacy was surfing the "Plastics News" site this
morning and came across this little gem of information.

Legoland Discovery Centre to open first U.S. site
By Moneé Fields-White
CRAIN´S CHICAGO BUSINESS

SCHAUMBURG, ILL. (Feb. 4, 1:05 p.m. EST) -- Lego A/S will open its first
U.S.-based discovery center this summer at Woodfield Shopping Center in
Schaumburg, the company said.

The new 30,000-square-foot indoor park is described as a smaller version of the
Legoland theme parks. It will offer a variety of rides, a play area, café, store
and a room showcasing exhibits made of the toy blocks.

"Chicago will be our showcase U.S. site, and the Woodfield area is ideal,"
Adrian Jones, U.S. general manager for Merlin Entertainments Group Ltd., which
operates the parks, said in a statement. "Legoland Discovery Centre is a new
concept that has been very successful in Berlin, and we are confident that it
will translate well to the U.S."

Lego, the maker of children´s building block toys, opened its first discovery
center in Berlin last year and plans to open a second site in Germany this May.
The Billund, Denmark-based toy maker operates its bigger amusement parks in
California, the United Kingdom, Denmark and Germany.

Perhaps it will open just in time for Brickworld?  Or maybe the grand opening
will coincide with Brickworld?  :-)  I can dream.

-Dave