 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 800
Re: Just where is Scotland?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.ie
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:11:08 GMT

I am left wondering is LEGO does not understand that the UK, GB, Scotland,
England, Northern Ireland and even Wales all have quite strange national
identities. To officially consider one country to be part on another just to
ease marketing seems to me to be a little crass.

No worse than the Governments (of all persuasions) who consider that
whatever policies are good for the South-East of England will be
appropriate for the whole country.

Some examples;

<Ben Elton mode>

The folk of Shetland pay the same rate of VAT on heating fuel as those
on the Isle of Wight, despite a huge climatic difference (they're closer
to Norway than Britain).

Up here we pay the same rate of duty on fuel despite the transport
infrastructure being totally crap after Maggie deregulated the buses and
flogged off the trains (even here in Ayrshire, just below the central
belt - its not the highlands I'm talking about. A two mile walk to the
bus stop, and two bus journeys to get to work, which is only 8 miles
away!)

£1 billion of taxpayers money (including some of mine, and some from
those same people on Shetland) wasted on an attraction built at one end
of the country for the Southerners to celebrate the new year (Lord
Falconer even had the front to say that it benefited a run-down area of
London. Yeah right. All 200 square yards of it). Ask the man on Shetland
how much it costs him to get there, and compare it with the man from
Dartford. Then you'll begin to realise why visitor numbers are so low.

Build a bridge to Skye, charge the highest tolls in Europe, then
withdraw the ferry operators licence so there's no choice but use the
bridge. Try that at Dartford and see how long it lasts.

And before the fan mail starts, I am English born and bred - all the
moans the Scots have about being governed from Westminster are true!

Ian Bishop, Ayrshire, UK