 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 799
Re: Just where is Scotland?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.ie
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 21:06:09 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Michael Firman writes:
I know what you mean. These are all the geographical terms I know of for where
I live, and some of their definitions:

England: Obvioulsly, just England

British Isles: Basicly, all the land we own (not including our commonwealth,
but the Channel Islands, Orkney etc. are included.

UK: I think this is mainland Britain, including Northern Island, but not other
Islands.

Great Britain: I think this is UK excluding Northern Island

Nearly. You need to separate physical geography from political boundaries

Geog: Great Britain is the single large island northwest of France. It is
often mistaken as the polical boundary - for example in sports events where a
UK team is referred to as GB (e.g. in the olympics), but actually includes
Northern Ireland folk. Teams are also regularly referred to as GB & NI, not UK!

Pol: England is a political boundary - on the GB island. Could be considered a
region, as with Scotland and Wales, which also occupy GB

Pol: The UK is a political boundary that includes GB and the northern part of
the island called Ireland. Hence its proper title of "United Kingdom of Great
Britain and Northern Ireland.". It DOES include any islands that are part of
the UK polical boundary. But not the channel islands or the Isle of Man.
The term "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland." is rarely
used as it does not make a good football chant, which is therefore the main
reason why we have still have 4 teams in the World cup.

Geog: The British Isles is the two islands, Great Britain and Ireland, along
with the many small islands nearby. The Political units, the United Kingdom
and Ireland occupy the British Isles. So this includes the small islands that
surround GB and Ireland. The Channel Isles are NOT really part of the British
Isles but are often referred to as so because of the political boundaries.

Pol: The British Islands (note the difference) is used to describe those
islands that consist of mainly english speaking people, so this includes the
channel islands, Isle of Man, as well as the UK.

here endeth the geography lesson.
No wonder people get confused.

regards
lawrence