 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 560
Re: Legal Legal legal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 01:25:47 GMT

James Powell wrote:

In lugnet.lego.direct, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Tim Wilkins wrote:

I read with amusement some of the posts on legal matters concerning leaked
information. I treat this site as a discussion group. People just talking
about Lego etc just as if they were face to face. What has this got to do • with
lawyers ??? If someone has some information and want to share it.....why not
share it.And as for the legal issues.........this is purely a US thing....we
in Europe have freedom of information,freedom of speech etc etc

You're not seriously advocating that European companies and governments keep • no
secrets and allow the release of confidential corporate information pell-mell, • are
you?

No, but what he is saying is that LEGO has to contact each of us and _ask_ us
to sign a NDA, which there is not a _thing_ they can do to make us sign.

In other words, once the cat is out of the bag, it is too late for anyone to do
anything about stuffing it back into the bag, unless they have a "compelling
Legal Reason" or such like to manage to do so, and the set names and numbers
would not fall into that catagory.

This information is not (as far as I can tell) protected in any manner, other
than by internal threats (we'll fire you if you tell people about our stuff,
and sue you for breach of contract), but, since I have NEVER signed a contract
to work for LSI, I cannot be held by LSI to have any accountability to them.

I definitely see your point.  This sort of murkiness is, of course, what the civil
courts of the world are for--someone has to decide if confidentiality was actually
breached.  I don't want to get into the wrinkles of Internet copyright law (that's
a related .debate) but as Todd said, best to err on the side of caution when you're
a large target.  This is especially true when you're a large target that's trying
to stay friendly with TLG.

That said, don't think for a moment that I didn't write everything down that I
could, and that there's any way I'll destroy said printout even if TLG asks
menacingly.

My issue with the originating post is that the underlying issue is not "Europe =
free and open, US = censored and litigous."  (Leaving aside the rest of the
Americas, of course)  This isn't a matter of geographic location, it's one of
corporate privacy that involves a multinational and a discussion forum that happens
to be located in the United States.

best

LFB