 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5521
Re: Is Lego false advertising the new 2003 sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 19:53:37 GMT

"Barbie does not actually walk and talk on her own..."    lol    : )

-Rob

"Bryan Kinkel" <helpdesk@loseyourmind.com> wrote in message
Mark,

Good question about the "light up" aspects of the box artwork. But I don't
think it is false advertising. Just good artwork. (1)

I call it artwork because most toys are shown "in a fantasy situation" on
the box front to catch the child's eye. The back of the box typically • shows
the actual toy and accessories that are contained in the box.

Some manufacturers even print on the front "toy shown in fantasy • situation"
or "some poses my require hand support" to avoid angry parents who feel • the
toy really should shoot lasers if the picture tells them so.

I suspect that the lighting on these new models is simply spiffy box
artwork. If there is something electronic inside a Lego box, the box often
has a "9V" or "Sound & Lights" logo or similar. And electronics add $$$.

Bryan

1. I really like the new graphics design of the boxes. The Orient boxes • are
really sharp.

"Mark P" <mark@landofbricks.com> wrote in message
Hey all,

After looking at MARZ and seeing the awesome new Town and Train sets I • found
something that kinda bugged me. To see what I am talking about, look at
these sets for an example:

http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-7032
http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-7033
http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-7034
http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-7035
http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-4513

Now I see what looks like new electric light up parts. I was really • excited
about this! But if you look at the parts that are lit up, you will see • there
is no way they can truly be light up parts.

I see two options on this - either Lego has found a way to light up • parts
in
a new way, or they did some serious photoshop work to the pictures.

If these pictures are indeed results of some photoshop program I find • this
highly bothersome. Imagine the backlash of parents buying sets for their
kids with the impression that they are getting what they see - but in
reality get something other than what they thought they were buying.

I know these may just be 'prototype' images. But even if that is the • case -
that is no excuse to represent something about a set that is just not • true
(if indeed they are not light up parts). These pictures were given to • people
who would use these images to purchase cases of the sets - and not just • for
an idea. Lego made an effort to make the lighted up parts stand out, and
unless they plan to back up what they show I think the pictures should • be
changed before these things hit the stores and the backlash of false
advertising rolls in.

Mark P.
http://www.landofbricks.com