 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5520
Re: Is Lego false advertising the new 2003 sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 19:42:40 GMT

Mark,

Good question about the "light up" aspects of the box artwork. But I don't
think it is false advertising. Just good artwork. (1)

I call it artwork because most toys are shown "in a fantasy situation" on
the box front to catch the child's eye. The back of the box typically shows
the actual toy and accessories that are contained in the box.

Some manufacturers even print on the front "toy shown in fantasy situation"
or "some poses my require hand support" to avoid angry parents who feel the
toy really should shoot lasers if the picture tells them so.

I suspect that the lighting on these new models is simply spiffy box
artwork. If there is something electronic inside a Lego box, the box often
has a "9V" or "Sound & Lights" logo or similar. And electronics add $$$.

Bryan

1. I really like the new graphics design of the boxes. The Orient boxes are
really sharp.

"Mark P" <mark@landofbricks.com> wrote in message
Hey all,

After looking at MARZ and seeing the awesome new Town and Train sets I • found
something that kinda bugged me. To see what I am talking about, look at
these sets for an example:

http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-7032
http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-7033
http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-7034
http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-7035
http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-4513

Now I see what looks like new electric light up parts. I was really • excited
about this! But if you look at the parts that are lit up, you will see • there
is no way they can truly be light up parts.

I see two options on this - either Lego has found a way to light up parts • in
a new way, or they did some serious photoshop work to the pictures.

If these pictures are indeed results of some photoshop program I find this
highly bothersome. Imagine the backlash of parents buying sets for their
kids with the impression that they are getting what they see - but in
reality get something other than what they thought they were buying.

I know these may just be 'prototype' images. But even if that is the • case -
that is no excuse to represent something about a set that is just not true
(if indeed they are not light up parts). These pictures were given to • people
who would use these images to purchase cases of the sets - and not just • for
an idea. Lego made an effort to make the lighted up parts stand out, and
unless they plan to back up what they show I think the pictures should be
changed before these things hit the stores and the backlash of false
advertising rolls in.

Mark P.
http://www.landofbricks.com