 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5048
Re: Would you buy it?????
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 17:32:50 GMT

I would definitely like to see Lego acquire a license and started producing
mecha themed sets(if they can't do something cool on their own - highly
likely).  To some extent I believe in the minds of TLC, they already are
through Bionicle and some of the other themes like Life on Mars etc etc.
But I think people want to see a dedicated line for Mecha, much in the way
Megablocks has.  The problem with TLC these days is that they just don't
seem to "get" somethings yet, and the theme of mecha is certainly one of them.

With the success of the star wars, and HP lines, I doubt that the idea of
picking up a mecha license hasn't already crossed there minds a thousand
times.  I can tell you first hand that there is definitely a market for it.
Looking at TLC's recent product offerings they're definitely consummed by
profitablilty like any business, so why wouldn't they pick a license up?

In lugnet.build.mecha, Eric Sophie writes:
When I was at Bricks West 2002, the Honorable Brad Justus (of Lego Direct)
Mentioned (after being asked) ...That he would love to see either a Mecha
MOC or Mecha in general made as a set. However, due to the Violence issue
and the weapons traditionally carried by most Mecha, it's something TLC
can't get into.

I respect and support their reason but I still find this statement very
hypocritical and frankly I don't understand the differentiation.  I can name
a dozen themes both old and modern that have weaponary built into the sets.
There seems to be a particular issue with the size of the weaponary and it's
blatantness in regards to mecha that TLC has a problem with.  For this
reason, you will NOT see a "mecha" theme in the sense that we visualize (ie
xenogears, gundam, robotech etc).

If Lego ever did try to produce a Mecha theme, i think we're bound to be
disappointed especially with the trend towards juniorization.  I mean, how
can you not be after seeing some of the work that gets posted here?  This
trend towards juniorization is my main problem with Lego these days.  The
quality of the sets in general seem to have declined, not from a
manufacturing point of view but from creative one. We all want lots of
pieces to make our own creations but Lego is becoming a prohibitive hobby
for many because there are less and less pieces and the sets are getting
progressively more expensive.

I loved the original star wars line, not only did you get great looking
sets, but they had a wealth and variety of pieces to faciliate the building
of MOC's.  This is what we need more than anything I believe. . . resources.
Although I haven't been happy with a lot of the sets and parts from the past
few years there is alawys a gem.  If TLC made a beefier version of the
multiaxis click joints in the battledroid sets i'd be a happy man.

sun