 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4804
Re: Technic RC car (Jake - info?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 04:08:50 GMT

I would also like to get more official info on this, but by inspection and
from what they have made in the past, it is almost certainly a one-piece
receiver, battery pack, drive-and-steer motor combo.  It may not even be
proportional steering, but it should be for that price.  I am willing to bet
everything, including the steering, is all part of one big brick.
Otherwise, it wouldn't be "tough as nails".  This is too bad if true,
because it just isn't LEGO-like if it isn't modular and reconfigurable.

Differential steering (different power to rear wheels) doesn't really work
well on a 4-wheel chassis.

I also think the wheels are smaller diameter, but same design, as on the
8466.  And the tires are correspondingly smaller.  Too bad.  Would have been
nice to RC the 8466 instead.  Yes, it might not be as tough, but I don't
really think driving LEGO around in the dirt is a great idea anyway.

--Jack Gregory

"Tom Stangl, VFAQman" <talonts@vfaq.com> wrote in message
Jake,

Since it is available for order now, can you give us more info on it?

It says 2 motors - one to drive, one to steer, or does it rely on power to • rear
right and rear left motors to steer?

How large is the receiver in the car?

John Guerquin wrote:

Awesome find Rob, thanks!!!  Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Strangely enough, it doesn't show up if you do a search for
8475 from the main page at LEGO.com.

This is another way to see it:
http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?prod_id=8475

Is it just me, or do the wheel hubs seem like the same ones
used in the 8466 4x4 Off-roader (and Silver Champion)?
The tires look a little smaller, but that could be an illusion.
$130, 283 pieces.... would this be the most expensive LEGO
set in terms of cost/piece at nearly 46 cents/piece?

Re-posted and FUT to technic

John

In lugnet.market.shopping, Rob Hendrix writes:
My lovely wife asked me to show her those crappy Lego Racers today, so • I
went on over to shop.lego.com (of course).  As we were scrolling • through the
different sets, I found it!!!!

Don't know if this is old or new news, but the new R/C car is available • for
prepurchase.  They say it ships July 9th! $129.99 is a little steep, • but I
gotta have one!  I'll try to give you the link (kinda long)...

http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?id=%7B5ED3F538%2D52CF%2D11D6%2D801A%2D00C0 • 4

F5ED856%7D&OrderBy=0&CatID=%7B4BE24985%2D17DB%2D4871%2DAC78%2D34BEA3F49E9C% • 7

Hope that works.

-Rob

--
Tom Stangl