 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4795
Re: Question for Jake on the future of chrome
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:35:20 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, David Simmons writes:
Hey Jake,

With all the buzz about the chrome parts in the SE Naboo Fighter (very nice,
BTW, I can't wait!), can you say whether we will see the usage of chrome
expanded in the coming year?  I'm very happy to see the lime green, light
brown, and orange popping up in different places.  Will this be happening
with chrome as well?

I'm sure you couldn't tell us whether an all-chrome Queen Amidala Cruiser is
in the works (although I'd LOVE it if it were!), but you can tell us whether
we can expect more chrome in the world of Lego?

As much as I want to, I really can't share info on upcoming products or
product plans.

To answer someone's earlier question about chrome production, yes, a chrome
part is a "different" part than a non-chrome version of that same part. For
instance, a chrome 1x2 plate starts with a slightly smaller ABS part, and
then the chrome layer is added, which makes it the same size as a non-chrome
ABS version. I'm not totally sure if the part requires an all new mold or
not, but it is additional work to "chrome" a part.

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Senior Producer