 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4623
Re: Why the absence of LD in their own newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 02:48:09 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee writes:

- LEGO soliciting opinions on certain topics (These posts don't necessarily
dictate any follow-up, and don't necessarily come on any regular schedule)
Example: http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=3462

Note that in that particular post, Brad said:

"Next year, we hope to give you at least one opportunity to vote -- from a
short list of candidates -- for the Legend set you'd like to see us make.
When we post the contenders we'll be specific about any changes we'll have
to make from the original. But it would be incredibly helpful to us now to
know how far we can go with those changes."

and what do you know....

- LEGO announcing something new, cool, etc. (which some would probably call
Marketing, we actually think of it as inclusion)
Example: http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=4328

that particular post announced the very poll that Brad said might be in the
offing 7 (or whatever, math's not my strong suit) months earlier. Further
the poll introductory material did a pretty good job of discussing exactly
the tradeoffs that would need to be made for each of the candidate sets as
well as a little background on why it was a candidate. Obviously LD had
studied what we said in response to the first post pretty closely even if
they didn't post a "thanks for the input" to each and every response.

You may not be completely happy with the polling mechanism itself (I know I
am not, because it doesn't present every possible previous selection to
choose from and thus gets duplicate answers, but I digress) but you cannot
in any way fault the committment that was made, and subsequently delivered
on, in these two posts.

And all that despite the restrictions placed on where LD can post. Think how
much better the communication might be without them. In my view LD deserves
a fair bit of credit for perseverance.