 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4596
Re: Why the absence of LD in their own newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:15:37 GMT

I think LD are often silent for some fairly obvious reasons.

Firstly, we LUGnetters don't seem to agree on too many things, so I don't
think we send very clear messages about what we want to Lego Direct. Some
people want more re-releases of Classic sets, some want new collectable sets
(like the numbered Sante Fes). Some people want a bigger range of special
bricks, some want a bigger range of colours in standard shapes. Some want
cypress trees, some want pitchforks. Some of us want S@H to be available in
more countries, some of us want items in the two fulfillment centres to be
shipped between them to address shortages. I'm not surprised if Lego Direct
doesn't really know what we want, as we collectively do not agree (apart from
wanting everything and wanting it yesterday).

Secondly, even when a lot of LUGnetters do agree on something, it does not
follow that the Lego Direct staff who read/post this newsgroup are in a
position to do anything about it. For example, a lot has been written about
the problem of small retail stores getting Lego, but I don't think Lego Direct
has any control over this.

Thirdly, even if we LUGnetters agree on something that is *fully* within the
control of Lego Direct, it does not follow that it makes good sense to Lego
Direct for a wide range of reasons (financial, in particular).

Fourthly, we go on and on and on about the same things all the time. I bet the
Lego Direct staff who read/post this newsgroup have figured out by now that we
want more bulk bricks, more shapes, more colours, more My Own Creation, more
Legends, more countries in S@H, etc etc. Why do we keep on telling them? Do we
think they are too stupid to remember from last time?

Fifthly (and finally), most organisations have an almost blanket veto on their
staff making "public comment" insisting that everything go through the
official company public relations machine. The Lego Direct staff who post to
this newsgroup are probably under strict instructions about what they can and
cannot talk about it on LUGnet. Do we think the staff involved should risk
their jobs by telling us everything they know?

Kerry