 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4594
Re: Why the absence of LD in their own newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 07:15:20 GMT

What Jim has stated was done so perfectly that it doesn't need any "me
too"s, but here is my total agreement with his words anyway.

And I think that the administrative reasons for creating this newsgroup and
also limiting official TLC access to Lugnet via this newsgroup are more than
reasonable.  The link to Todd's post explains it all.  To my mind, TLC/Lego
Direct has been extended the hand of friendship and been given the
opportunity to start a dialog with us adult enthusiasts -- and both offers
stand.  If they choose not to avail themselves of the opportunity, that is
their business and they must blame themselves for missing out on an
excellent opportunity.  There is hardly any point to their using these
forums merely for free advertising when many of us read their catalogues and
semi-regularly visit their own official website in any case.

If they cannot take the probably justified criticisms concerning their
marketing techniques, their distribution problems, their problems with
smaller sellers, their poor set designs, the limited or nonexistent
Shop@Home access to different countries, their abysmal bulk/accessory pack
offerings, quality control issues, etc. -- then that is their problem.
Those are all the kinds of things that interest adult enthusiasts -- and
that is to say that in many ways it is as if adult enthusiasts are more
concerned for what TLC/Lego Direct does as a business than they themselves
may be in some cases; even if our concerns bend towards the aesthetic and
the utilitarian concerns of users of a product, and not as much towards the
god known as "the bottom line."  And yet, even what little discussion we
give towards TLC's bottom line seems to go unheard and certainly unanswered
-- there hasn't been much change in anything TLC has done since I started
here with the exception of Siskind's Blacksmith Shop, and the
Legends/Classics lines -- everything else that has been done has obvious
antecedents in the former practices of the parent company TLC. Sure, I am
thrilled to have access to cypress tree accessory packs -- but its not the
case that such offerings didn't exist before (see #5192, circa 1987).  And
rereleasing old sets is probably something that would have occurred to them
eventually -- just as the nostalgia bug and its cost saving hidden benefits
has hit the whole of the toy industry of late. So really the only truly new
idea that has been implemented is the fan created Blacksmith shop.  Thats'
great, but I am not exactly turning cartwheels.  Whats' strange is how
grateful we have been for TLC/Lego Direct merely re-implementing some of
their older practices.  There have been no true "bulk" offerings and we all
know that -- so where is the big step forward?

I'd say that our relationship with TLC hasn't yielded very much yet except
good intentions on both sides.  If they fail to take advantage of the
incisive opinions of adult enthusiasts -- again, they have only themselves
to blame.

I think that Suz has every right to ask exactly what their intentions are at
this point in time.  She's probably giving the whole Lugnet question a lot
of thought lately -- as Lugnet seems to be simulataneously expanding and
imploding in different ways.

Doubtless, one of her concerns has to be where TLC/Lego Direct fits into
Lugnet's future, and perhaps even if they wish to participate in that future
in any way at all.

-- Hop-Frog