 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 399
Re: Spreadsheet to order from Lego Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:57:42 GMT

Bryan, thanks for your kind words!  Good name, too.  In the next version I may
add a link to Partsref -  since I'm still working on a modem myself I'm
sensitive to the size issue.  I do hope to keep it up-to-date as the selection
improves - somebody remind me if I forget.

Cheers, Heather

In lugnet.lego.direct, Bryan Kinkel writes:
Heather,
That is a really great spreadsheet! I hope you continue to upgrade and share
it with the community as Lego Direct expands their product line (with real
train doors & windows please!).

It's funny... Using your tool, I came to the realization that I could
probably purchase a fresh Load & Haul Railroad or similar train set with the
funds I have allocated to Lego Direct....I typically like to order from the
catalog haphazardly and let the S@H rep surprise me with the grand total!

One suggestion - for each group of related items (ie 1x4 bricks) -
a) embed a picture of the product, clipped from the lego.com/bulk pages
- or -
b)  include a direct link to the lego.com/bulk pages

Option A would probably cause the file size to bloat quickly, making it
unwieldy for modem downloaders.

While I'm sure most AFOL can figure out what an element is from the
description, it sometimes helps to see the picture to decide if you *really*
have to have 200 pint size trees or 600 white tiles. :)

Again, this is a really useful tool. I encourage any of the AFOLs that have
pricing or element voting pages to add a link to Heathers "BrickCalc" tool.

Bryan Kinkel
http://www.kinkel.net/lego
bryan@kinkel.net
helpdesk@loseyourmind.com

"Heather Patey" <hpatey@nfld.com> wrote in message
I used Jason Catena's very useful table of sets available from Lego Direct • and
made an Excel 97 spreadsheet that calculates total cost of an order when • you
fill in how many copies you want of each set, including discount and • shipping.
It's at

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hpatey/tools/ld_select.xls

It prints nicely on two letter-landscape pages as is, and if you know how • to
autofilter, you can select Nonblanks in the "I Want" column to make a • shorter
(perhaps!) list to read out into the phone.  Hope someone besides me finds • this
helpful; feedback appreciated.

Heather Patey
Pirate Wench / Brick Detective
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada