 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3518
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:19:26 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:
We're having a debate here in the ABS-paved halls of LEGO Direct that I'd
like to throw open to the community.

As a member of the Lego-buying community, can I just say how fantastic what
you're doing is.  I'll admit I haven't bought a Guarded Inn (yet)*, and I
doubt I'll fork out for a Metroliner (my trains are all British steam-era
customs), but just knowing you're listening and responding to the community
is brilliant.

The topic is: what makes a LEGO Legend a legend? Or, more precisely, if we
cannot bring back a set precisely as it was (or pretty darn close), can it
still qualify as a Legend?

Well, the one I really would go for is the one sold in Europe as '928 Space
Cruiser and Moonbase', or, in the US, '497 Galaxy Explorer'.  Regardless of
whether it counts as a Legend or not, there is nothing you could do to this
set that would put me off buying it - except putting a ridiculous price on it.

I surmise from the questions that you are concerned that making too many
changes to a set may harm sales, and that could spell the end of the Legends
line.  I'll try to be clear on my own position, but will probably drift into
speculation at times.  I know it's just one opinion, but I hope the
information is useful.

I want to see a 928/497.  It was too expensive to have as a kid, and I'd
love to be able to buy one now.  But, I'm not so enamoured that I would pay
eBay prices - nor do I want one MISB.

I've seen a lot of discussion about the Legends, concerning minor changes
from the originals (e.g. hollow head studs, hairpiece shapes and print
detail), but it doesn't devalue a set to me.  I might join in such
discussion, but it's no criticism.  It's just wanting to know absolutely
everything about a highly treasured set - to me it shows how popular it is.
I have no interest in what it means to dedicated collectors of originals.  I
expect the differences mean that there is still some value in originals, but
in terms of desirability, they don't affect the Legend set one iota.

Focusing again on the 928/497, what changes could you make?  Well, let me
first say I'm not assuming you are going to re-release it.  I hope that you
are, but I know you can't say yet.  What I mean is, I would buy a Legend set
if, to me, it was desirable.  The Metroliner isn't, the Gaurded Inn is
sort-of, the Galaxy Explorer would be without a doubt.  So, I'll take that
as my example to give a feel for my opinions.

I can't think of many changes so serious that they would stop me buying it.
Some changes may provoke discussion, others could provoke criticism.  I
assume though that something I don't like may put someone else off the set
entirely.  I suppose it would affect how many of the set I might buy, too.  So:

Minifig heads with hollow studs:
I wouldn't have noticed, if it hadn't been pointed out.  No worries.

Modern Helmets:
If the moulds for the originals are gone, then it's a necessary step.  It
would be an obvious change, but I'd happily go for it - consider it a minor
update of the original.  In fact, give them all visors in the classic
trans-yellow colour for an added bonus.

Minifig body stickers:
I would accept stickers, but then I've got several originals I could put in
place.  This is detracting from the original, but not too much.  Better than
changing the print for one from any of the similar later themes, or not
having the set at all.

Brick and slope stickers:
The LL928 and space logos wouldn't be noticeable on the model.  The one on
the front slope would be more noticeable.  Again, a little detraction and a
shame - but I'd still buy one.  I think Eric had a good idea though, to
supply a spare sticker sheet or two in the box.  Surely that can't have much
of an effect on the price of a set this size?

New wheels on the buggy:
I won't miss the metal axles (and I have plenty of originals) - just make
sure the hubs are grey and the wheels are red.

New tyre compound:
So the tyres go on and off easier?  Great.

No TV-style antenna on control room roof:
A shame not to have it, but don't let this stop you re-releasing the set.
They never lasted long anyway.  Swap it for whatever you like - I wouldn't
mind a modern whip, but I think most people would rather you used a piece
available at the time, like a standard antenna - or maybe put several pieces
together for a similar look.

No landing pad plate:
Shame.  Mould a crossroads in grey?  The change from the print would be
noticeable in the box pic, but that's another of the things we'd have to accept.

No crater plate:
Hmm - someone pointed out that these were still made recently, but just a
plain grey plate would do - it's the ship I want.  Don't bother trying to
build a fake rock wall out of other parts.

But then, if it was:
No 3x6x1 slope (blue or trans-yellow for windscreens):
I assume these are still around, but if they had to be substituted for other
parts, like a long train/Imperial Shuttle canopy?  Well, then, to me, it's
no longer the same model.  Time to make your excuses and leave.  But, let us
know if this is the case (as with monorail track), so we're not left hanging
on.  I realise this is an extreme example, but generally major outward
changes are a bad idea.

Any non-essential changes would be most unwelcome too.  I mean here things
like using large pre-formed pieces for walls or vehicle baseplates, where
the original was made from several regular pieces, or using trans-dark-blue
for all windows and white wings on an original trans-yellow, blue & grey
classic space ship.

So, I would accept a lot of changes to the minor details in order to own a
desirable classic set.  Any changes caused by The Lego Company's 'progress'
into juniorisation, or for no good reason at all, would not be acceptable.
Just be open about the changes (if only on LUGNET), so we're not
disappointed when we open the box.

But, as to what sets are Legends, I'm really not sure.  Any of the 90s
town/nautica sets would be great - I'd love a shuttle launch pad - but these
were my dark ages.  I didn't really desire any from this period, as I wasn't
buying Lego at the time.  The only ones I see as Legends are from the late
70s/early 80s, when I was a Lego-buying kid with limited pocket money.

Now, I wouldn't suggest you do too many sets from back beyond the days of
minifigs, as although there might be some classics, most were of standard
bricks and few will hold interest for modern youngsters.  I don't suppose
the Legends are bought exclusively by adults for themselves.

Maybe some smaller sets, like the 'Spirit of St Louis' aircraft, or updates
of others with modern features would work.  For example, the Coastgaurd set
369 was updated to 575 for the US.  I would say keep the original colours,
but then this probably wouldn't count as a Legend, more an update (still
welcome though!).

As for which of the minifig sets, look around LUGNET for opinion.  In
classic space, you have the 1593 fetching high prices, but why?  It was a
pretty poor looking set, and it's only valuable now because no-one wanted
one then.  So, not a Legend.

The 6950 Rocket Transport ('X-15 Satellite Launcher') - a great design, but
with the spare trans-yellow inverted slopes currently available, anyone can
throw one together.  Of course, they might have to change a few details, but
then a Legends re-release would have a few changes too.  So, a classic, but
not hugely desireable.

The original yellow castle, whilst a classic set, would have limited appeal
now compared to some early models from the grey castles.

In technic, how about the 951 Bulldozer?  Personally, I already have an
original, but I consider it a classic.  I probably wouldn't buy a re-issued
one, but others might.

The 497/928 Galaxy Explorer though, was desirable as a set.  Just out of
reach of so many kids, it's perfect for todays AFOLs - for themselves, or
for their kids.  The parts alone would be great to have, for building others
from the classic space range.

If you're concerned about the changes needed to make it happen, I hope the
answers here have given you some reassurance.  If not, I can only suggest
you say exactly what you can do, and take a vote on it.  I suspect that's
what you were planning with the vote anyway, but I would rather have the
discussion per set than have to take a vote between sets.

Jason J Railton

*I have two My-Own-Trains and have just ordered a Hopper Wagon.  The only
reason I don't have a Guarded Inn is because the money I can spare is going
on bulk packs (sand-red 1xn and wagon bases), or the old accessories before
they run out - which reminds me, knock out some more electric cables,
please!  I think it's great that there's such a huge choice I can't have
everything I want - just like being a kid again.