 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3494
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 17:06:05 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:
We're having a debate here in the ABS-paved halls of LEGO Direct that I'd
like to throw open to the community.

The topic is: what makes a LEGO Legend a legend? Or, more precisely, if we
cannot bring back a set precisely as it was (or pretty darn close), can it
still qualify as a Legend?

You have defined a LEGO Legend very well, any set that became a "landmark"
is a good candidate, either because it was the first set in a theme or
because it was a market success.

I guess it depends on how dramatic the difference between the original and
the re-release is.

So here's my question for you all: how much compromise can you live with?

Certain level of compromise is good for both TLC and for the consumer.
Changing basic bricks for a "burp" would be unnacceptable, for instance.

Should we just cross any older Town set off the consideration list because
we can't use the metal-axle wheelsets?

Changing metal wheels by current ones is, for example, an acceptable change
from my perspective. It makes sense to both the collector, the regular LEGO
consumer and TLC.

Are stickers ok?

Stickers are Ok, granted, some people prefer pre-printed pieces...
I would prefer sets with stickers that no sets at all.

How many changes are allowed before it's not a Legend anymore?

Small sacrifices are good for the common good: The classic "Yellow Castle"
has 6 1x1 red (small window), if they get changed to 6 1x1 red bricks with
stud in front, it would be an acceptable change.

Big ones aren't:
Can you picture a re-release of the classic "Yellow Castle" using the castle
walls in yellow? That would be a new set altogether.

Where do you -- where should we -- draw the line?
Is the Legend in the spirit of the overall set or in the details?

The overall set is more important than the details, as long as such details
don't affect the overall set of course.

You guys have been doing a great job (in my humble opinion), keep it up.
My 2 cents.

J.-